Sunday, November 21, 2010

Flower Pot Cake

















I love making special cakes for my family members! I enjoy coming up with an idea specifically for that person and then trying to turn it into a cake! I’m self taught, so it takes quite a bit of time, but if I can do it, anyone can do it.
I decided to make my mother a flower pot cake for her birthday. She’s the green thumb of the family and can make anything grow! I began by purchasing the Wilton Gum paste flower mold kit. It gives you a book that shows you all kinds of different flowers and leaves. I used a mixture of purchased fondant and gum paste, both were Satin Ice brand.
I spent about two weeks experimenting with different flowers. The book gives step by step instructions and is pretty easy to follow. I used flower wire to create the flowers and then dried them by sticking them into foam. The wire wasn’t very sturdy so I used flower tape to attach the flowers to skewer sticks after they were dry.
The base of the cake was a hexagon German chocolate cake covered with green tinted Satin Ice Fondant. I made little “peas” (as my mom named them!) to place around the bottom.
The flower pot is made from three small oval German chocolate cakes. It was then covered with fondant tinted to look like terra cotta. I used brown and red to make the terra cotta color and then added a bit of orange when it looked too pink. I added a two inch strip around the top to look like the top of the pot. Icing inside the top provided the base for crushed up Oreo cookie “dirt”. I finished the pot by putting a small rope of the terra cotta fondant around the bottom.
My next step was to place the flowers. I basically just started out with the three calla lilies and then added around them. Two of the lilies wouldn’t stay on the sticks, so I put them at the bottom.
I decided to add a little bit of whimsy with the insects. I made worms and snails out of brown fondant and lady bugs out of red fondant. I added the black to the lady bugs with edible marker.
My six year old twin daughters made flowers using the cut outs too and I added them into the pot as a special treat! They did a fantastic job and were so proud to see that I used them in the cake. Who would have thought cake decorating could be such a fun family activity!
My mother really enjoyed the cake and I really enjoyed making it for her! Thank you for looking!

First Name: Nickie
City-State: Greencastle, PA
How Would You Rate This?: Loading ... Loading ...View All Contest Entries

View the original article here

This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.