Monday, November 22, 2010

Disney Ratatouille Cake















This delicious cake was inspired for my daughter’s 5th birthday party where 18 kids made their own pizzas and baked their choice(s) of 3 cookie recipes that had been reduced to individual batches of 8-12 cookies per batch.
What’s a cooking party without just a hint of the lovable characters from Disney’s Ratatouille? This cake’s 12?, 8?, and 6? layers were deliberately stacked askew with alternating white and chocolate layers with vanilla and chocolate butter cream frostings accordingly. A small white plastic scalloped disk that was included with the plastic character cake toppers was added askew for more interest. I’ve never decorated a cake before and had certainly never used fondant, but I had a vision of what I thought the cake could look like. I’d seen amazing things done with fondant!
I researched fondant on the internet. After reading too many comments to count about fondant that looked beautiful, but tasted terrible, I searched the web for a solution. I didn’t want my guests to “eat around” the fun decorations. I found a delicious marshmallow fondant recipe that I followed to make the falling cheese slices, strawberries, and mushrooms. I used gel coloring in the fondant and in the butter cream frosting used for the strawberry vines. The fondant shapes were created using cookie cutters – the cheese was created using a solid candy corn cutter with different round cutters for the Swiss cheese holes. While the butter cream was still fresh and soft, I cut and arranged the fondant shapes to appear randomly “scattered” all over the cake.
The fondant adhered nicely to the fresh moist butter cream. Nestled amongst these rat delights are none other than the rat stars, Remy and Emile from the movie which featured memorable moments with cheese, strawberries and mushrooms.
Surrounded by kids at red/white checkered tables, in chef hats and aprons, with mixing bowls and measuring cups, under a huge backyard awning, the themed whimsy of this cake was enchanting.

Search Amazon.com for cake decorating
First Name: Terry
City-State: Long Beach, CA
How Would You Rate This?: Loading ... Loading ...View All Contest Entries
View the original article here

This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.