Friday, December 3, 2010

Eyeballs and Fingers Halloween Cake

Single Layer Cake with Strawberry Blood, Fondant Fingers and Eyeballs.

My inspiration for this cake was Halloween. I found the idea on the Wilton website. Since I work full time and go to school full time, I’m self teaching myself cake decorating.

This cake was made using two square pans. I colored the white cake mix with Leaf Green coloring and swirled in Moss Green coloring with a toothpick. I made strawberry filling that I used as the filling and the “blood”. The fingers were made with fondant and finger molding. I used an art brush to paint edible pink pearl dust for the nail polish and copper icing color for the detailed work. The eyeballs are also made out of fondant. Since I didn’t have a mold, I just ‘eyeballed’ an eyeball.

A section of the cake was purposely cut out to expose the inside. The eyeballs were inserted using lollipop sticks. Additional strawberry filling was piped around the fingers and eyeballs to represent blood. I iced the cake with buttercream frosting. After icing the cake, I used orange and black cake mist to add a pop of color to the white frosting.

I absolutely love this cake. It showed me that I do have talent and patience to create amazing cakes!

First Name: Melissa
City-State: Bakersfield, CA

How Would You Rate This?: Loading ... Loading ...View All Contest Entries


View the original article here